China is to deploy a new naval escort fleet to the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somalia in mid-August, the Ministry of National Defense has announced.
11 August, 2026
The fleet will take over from China’s 48th naval escort fleet, which began its current mission in October last year, the ministry said on Tuesday.
The new deployment will be China’s 49th naval escort fleet to operate in the region. It will comprise the guided-missile destroyer Kunming, the guided-missile frigate Yueyang and the comprehensive supply ship Luomahu, according to the ministry.
The Chinese navy said the mission would contribute to the security of international shipping routes and support regional peace and stability.
China has maintained a regular naval presence in the Gulf of Aden and Somali waters since 2008, operating under relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions.
According to the defence ministry, Chinese naval escort missions have protected more than 7,000 Chinese and foreign vessels since then, while also responding to ships in distress.
Chinese naval vessels have additionally taken part in evacuations of Chinese citizens and foreign nationals from countries affected by conflict.
The ministry said the latest mission reflected China’s commitment to supporting a “maritime community with a shared future” and contributing to the safety of global sea lanes.



